MAKES: 5 servings
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and fat-free milk) equals 185 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 617 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen diced cooked chicken, thawed
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, rice, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken; heat through.Yield: 5 servings.