MAKES: 6 servings
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 507 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add barley; saute for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, carrot, cabbage, red pepper, basil and oregano. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.