|CNA - Med/Surg Unit|
FT-7 AM – 7 PM
POSITION SUMMARY: The nurse aide performs direct and indirect routine patient care under the general supervision of an LPN or RN. Responsible for individual schedule changes. Knowledge of computer documentation. Maintains patient/staff confidentiality. Expected to work a minimum of one year on Med/Surg.
- Graduate of an accredited high school or equivalency
- Completed certified nurse aide course
- Experience preferred but not required
- If no previous experience, must possess ability and desire to learn
Minimum Field of Expertise:
- Ability to prioritize patient care
- Knowledge of new trends and techniques
- Demonstrates annual competency of selected clinical skills
- BLS affirmation
- Current Kansas Certified Nurse Aide license
- Moderate to heavy physical efforts
- Frequent standing/walking/sitting/stooping/bending/reaching
- Frequent lifting patient, supplies, equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Must be able to lift arms above head
- Rapid and efficient response to emergencies
Required protective equipment:
- Precautions/Isolation according to policies/procedures for: a. exposure to blood, body fluids, infectious materials; b. exposure to chemical hazards, slippery surfaces; c. exposure to noise and noxious odors; d. electrical equipment.
- Ability to see clearly at 20 feet or more
- Ability to see clearly at 20 inches or less
- Ability to see peripherally
- Must be able to hear when spoken to in a soft/low tone.
- Subject to stressful conditions
- Assigned to a home unit and shift or shifts.
- Can expect to be reassigned to another area or shift as necessary for staffing.
- Requires weekend and holiday work.
- Subject to overtime and low census days due to fluctuation in workload.
- Subject to call back for mass casualty situations
- Knowledgeable of responsibilities during emergency/disaster and of incident command
- Works positively with others, possessing tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure
- Maintains good physical and emotional well being
- Positive communication skills
- Works quietly and as a part of the team
- Attends staff meetings/in-services/competencies
- Completes assigned tasks by deadline
- Wears appropriate, clean attire according to department of nursing dress code, wears name tag and identifies self to patient.
- Possesses integrity
- Possesses initiative
- Role model
- Maintains a positive attitude
Degree of Supervision:
- Must be able to work under direct supervision of an RN, LPN
DUTIES OF NURSE AIDE
- Implements physical care to all age groups within the established policies and procedures of the unit and under the direction of an LPN or RN.
- Ensures proper documentation of all care provided.
- Positively assists with the physical comfort needs of the patients.
- Positively assists in the admission, transfer, and discharge of the patients.
- Monitors vital signs, accuchecks, weights and reports findings to patient care nurse.
- Positively assists in the orientation of patient/significant other to surroundings.
- Assists with patient elimination procedures such as intake and output, catheter care, catheter insertion, enemas, collection of urine and stool specimens.
- Assists with ambulation and movement.
- Offers assistance to other staff members.
- Communicates positively in a timely and accurate manner with nursing staff, patients/significant others, physicians, and other ancillary personnel.
- Assists in orientation of other personnel.
- Gives accurate instructions and explanations to patients/significant others.
- Identifies self to patient (verbally and written).
- Promptly answers call lights and responds appropriately to patient requests.
- Assists in maintenance of a safe environment by reporting and correcting any unsafe conditions, or equipment.
- Uses good body mechanics and safety devices such as lifts, side rails, restraints, transfer belts, etc.
- Follows procedure and safety precautions when using equipment and supplies.
- Assists in the maintenance of a comfortable and positive environment.
- Follows basic infection control and isolation procedures.
- Participates in inservices to learn new skills and techniques.
- Attends 100% of all staff meetings/mandatory classes unless excused by the Unit Manager.