FT-PHLEBOTOMIST-VARIED SHIFTS BETWEEN 5:45 am TO 9:00 pm TO INCLUDE SOME WEEKENDS-LABORATORY
POSITION SUMMARY: A phlebotomist does venipuncture, following laboratory protocol, for the purpose of collecting blood per request of the physician. The phlebotomist reports to the technologist, supervisor and laboratory Director.
- Light physical efforts (lift/carry up to 20 lbs)
- Frequent prolonged standing/walking/sitting
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Occasional reaching/stooping/bending
Required protective equipment:
- Safety eyeglasses
- Face protection
- Lab coat
- Non‑sterile latex gloves
- Ability to see clearly to 20 feet or more
- Ability to see clearly at 20 inches or less
- Ability to judge distance and space relationships
- Ability to see peripherally
- Ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Exposed to hazards from electrical/mechanical/poser equipment
- Exposed to odorous chemical and specimens
- Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, injury, etc)
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to interruptions
- Occasional stress due to multiple calls in inquires
DUTIES OF LABORATORY PHLEBOTOMIST
(to include collecting and handling specimens)
- Performs venipuncture following laboratory protocol.
- Performs finger and heel sticks following hospital protocol.
- Collects specimens according to specimen requirements.
- Inverts specimen for mixing if needed.
- Labels tubes and specimens according to laboratory protocol.
- Document information on the requisition.
- Clock in lab requests.
- Distributes specimens and lab slips to proper area.
- Notifies technologist in that area if request is "STAT", "ASAP", or "E.R.".
- Properly identifies patient's according to lab protocol.
- Washes hands; dispose of materials in accordance with policy.
- Collects UDS according to protocol.
- Has doctor's request prior to collecting specimens.
SCHEDULED SHIFT TO WORK:
STARTS WITH ORIENTING 5:45 A.M. TO 2:15 P.M. M-F.
REGULAR HOURS AND SOME WEEKENDS ARE A REQUIRED PART OF THIS POSITION. LAB HOURS ARE 5:45 A.M. TO 8:00 P.M. AT TIMES MAY BE ASKED TO WORK UNSCHEDULED HOURS TO HELP COVERAGE OF SHIFTS.