|Nurse - RN - Med/Surg - Nights|
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for patient care. Knowledgeable in Prevention of healthcare associated infections. Performs duties under the supervision of the Unit Manager/Nursing Coordinator. Assignment of the patient to other staff members is based on their clinical expertise. Receives order from the physicians. Appropriately implements physician orders. Performance is subject to periodic evaluation for compliance with policies and meeting professional standards of nursing care. Expected to participate in quality improvement. Maintains patients/staff confidentiality. Knowledge of computer documentation. Expected to work a minimum of one year on Med/Surg.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- No previous experience required, but must possess the desire and ability to learn.
- One year nursing experience preferred.
Minimum Field of Expertise:
- Participation in continuing education
- Knowledge of new trends and techniques in nursing
- Demonstrates annual competency of selected clinical skills
- CEUs to maintain RN license
- Current Kansas license with biennial renewal
- BLS affirmation
- Moderate to heavy physical efforts
- Frequent standing/walking/sitting/stooping/bending/reaching
- Frequent lifting patient, supplies, and equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Must be able to lift arms above head
- Rapid and efficient response to emergencies
Required protective equipment:
- Ability to see clearly at 20 feet or more
- Ability to see clearly at 20 inches or less
- Ability to see peripherally
- Subject to stressful conditions
- Assigned to a home unit and shift or shifts.
- Can expect to be reassigned to another area or shift as necessary for staffing.
- Requires weekend and holiday work.
- Subject to overtime and low census days due to fluctuation in workload.
- May be requested to provide patient care in a helicopter or ambulance transfer
- Subject to call back for mass casualty situations
- Works positively with others, possessing tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Demonstrates leadership and teaching skill
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure
- Maintains positive physical and emotional well-being
- Possesses positive communication skills
- Works quietly and as a part of the team
- Attends staff meetings
- Wears appropriate, clean attire according to department of nursing dress code, wears name tag and identifies self to patient.
- Possesses integrity
- Takes initiative
- Role model
- Knowledgeable of responsibilities during emergency/disaster and of incident command
- Able to prioritize tasks and complete patient care within a timely manner and shift hours.
- Ability to critically think and process nursing care
Degree of Supervision Required:
- Must be able to work independently
DUTIES OF STAFF NURSE ‑ REGISTERED NURSE
- Performs the nursing care to patients in a manner reflective of the hospital's philosophy and objectives.
- Plans safe, efficient and economical nursing care of patients while at the same time meeting Joint Commission and other relevant standards.
- Maintains knowledge of All Hospital Plans; Department of Nursing/Unit Policies & Procedures; Infection Control Manual and the Personnel Policy Handbook. Work performance is consistent with these policies and procedures.
- Maintains physician ‑ nurse rapport.
- Implements physician's orders per policy.
- Performs or reviews admission assessments
- Initiates discharge plan upon Admission.
- Monitors patientís condition and maintains accurate documentation. Reports abnormalities or instabilities of patient's condition in a timely manner to appropriate individuals.
- Performs age specific treatments/procedures.
- Accurately enters orders and related information in the computer.
- Prepares patient for surgery. Completes appropriate documentation, educates patient and family, and provides emotional support.
- Reduces patientís and significant otherís anxiety through education and positive emotional support. Provides patients, family and significant others with an explanation of condition/procedures. Assesses impairment affecting patientís/significant otherís ability/willingness to learn.
- Reviews home care/discharge instructions with patient and/or responsible party. Ensures safe discharge of patient.
- Performs appropriate medication administration utilizing the five rights and two forms of patient identification. Assumes responsibility for routine, PRN, and stat medications.
- Demonstrates knowledge of IV/ Nutritional therapies.
- Assumes responsibility for checking outdated medication(s).
- Assumes responsibility for checking the crash cart.
- Counts narcotics at end of shift. Reports discrepancies immediately.
- Completes the Patient Acuity Tool to assist with staffing ratios.
- Provides a quiet, calm atmosphere.
- Insures patient safety measures are implemented
- Recognizes legal responsibilities and functions within limitations as specified by law.
- Functions with team approach.
- Attends 100% of all staff meetings/mandatory classes unless excused by the Unit Manager.
- Participates on assigned committees.
- Maintains positive working relationship with all personnel in a professional manner.
- Assures adequate supplies and equipment are available for delivery of care.
- Maintains clean patient care area and unit.
- Reports patientís condition including pertinent information to patient care providers.
- Assumes responsibility for checking the MAR with physician orders.
- Ensures assessment on assigned patients every shift, and as condition changes.
- Ensures LPN admission assessment is co-signed.
- Responsible for safe operation of equipment.
- Participates in and/or initiates codes when necessary. Follows Code Blue, ACLS algorithms and proper defibrillation techniques.
- Proper placement of telemetry leads and documentation of cardiac rhythms.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel.
- Reads information regarding changes in schedules, memos, new Policies and Procedures, L. A. Express, and Staff News.
- Understands COBRA regulations, EMTALA laws and transfer procedures.
- Functions with accuracy, speed, and cooperation in handling of emergency situations.