|Phlebotomy Technician Supervisor|
Phlebotomy supervisors oversee a team of phlebotomists, ensures that the process of drawing blood is performed according to safety and compliance standards. Supervisors make decisions, solve problems, assist in developing procedures, and conduct and attend meetings. Performs venipuncture, skin puncture, scraping of exposed skin, tongue and swabbing of throat and nares on patients of all ages. Performs laboratory testing following laboratory protocol. Requires travel to nursing homes on a rotational basis. Informs patient of proper collection requirements on certain tests. Perform clerical and computer data entry. Actively interacts with patients, nurses, doctor's office personnel, and physicians, requiring proper phone etiquette and client service abilities.
- Prefer certification but not required
- Light physical efforts (lift/carry up to 20 lbs)
- Frequent prolonged standing/walking/sitting
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Occasional reaching/stooping/bending
Required protective equipment:
- Safety eyeglasses
- Face protection
- Lab coat
- Non-sterile latex/latex free gloves
- Ability to see clearly to 20 feet or more
- Ability to see clearly at 20 inches or less
- Ability to judge distance and space relationships
- Ability to see peripherally
- Ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus
- Regularly exposed to the risk of blood borne diseases
- Exposed to hazards from electrical/mechanical/poser equipment
- Exposed to odorous chemical and specimens
- Exposed to unpleasant elements (example: accidents, injury, etc.)
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to interruptions
- Occasional stress due to multiple calls in inquires
DUTIES OF LABORATORY PHLEBOTOMIST SUPERVISOR: (To include collecting and handling specimens)
- Performs venipuncture following laboratory protocol
- Performs finger and heel sticks following laboratory protocol
- Collects specimens according to specimen requirements
- Inverts specimen for mixing
- Labels tubes and specimens according to laboratory protocol
- Document information on the requisition
- Order entry into order management
- Distributes specimens and lab slips to proper area
- Notifies technologist in that area if request is “STAT”, “ASAP”, or “ER”
- Properly identifies patient’s according to laboratory protocol
- Washes hands; dispose of materials in accordance with policy
- Collects UDS according to protocol
- Has physician’s request prior to collecting specimens
- Rotation for nursing home draws
- Informing the patient of proper at home collections
- Informing the patient of test not covered by insurance and having them sign correct form (ABN, LPW, Tricare Beneficiary Liability, Service care agreement).
- Interacts with patients, nurses, doctor's office personnel, and physicians for retrieving proper information on requisitions
- Use proper ICD-9 coding
- Checking requisition for required information before attending to patient
- Develop and updating job descriptions, developing performance expectations, identifying essential functions and knowledge, skills and abilities required for applicable positions.
- Supervise employee and team performance, new employee orientation processes, employee training and continuing education.
- Set up monthly meetings
- Manage employee performance by coaching, counseling, motivating, and evaluating employees on a continual basis.
- Develop a yearly competency exam to ensure proficiency and updated knowledge.
- Implement disciplinary action as needed and in consultation with Laboratory Manager.
- Ensure effective employee relations by sustaining an ethical, non-discriminatory and safe work environment and establishing effective communication lines and methods.
- Identify and solve employee problems, manage conflict, and respond to grievances as needed.
- Maintains and determines usage of department supplies and inventory.
- Performs duties in an independent, efficient, enthusiastic, and effective manner.
- Maintains Phlebotomy Manual and distributes updates to phlebotomists as needed.
- Exercises all laboratory safety precautions and adheres to lab procedures as stated in procedure manuals.