Geary Community Hospital is a not-for-profit hospital that offers outstanding care to patients while providing an enjoyable work environment for all employees. A 110,000 square foot expansion that opened in 2009 houses a new Intensive Care Unit, Medical/Surgical Unit, Surgical Center, and a newly remodeled Rago Diagnostic Imaging. With a mission to provide accessible, professional, cost-effective primary and secondary health care to Geary County and surrounding communities, Geary Community Hospital uses state-of-the-art techniques to ensure each patient receives the care they deserve.
Junction City's City Hospital was founded by Dr. W.A. Carr, in 1913. It originated in a small home on the corner of 2nd St & Adams. In 1919, when business picked up and exceeded available space, the hospital moved to the corner of Ash & Jefferson.
In 1963 the ownership of the hospital was transferred from the Carr family to Geary County, in which the name was changed to its present day name of Geary Community Hospital. Administration felt this name would better reflect the mission and vision of the hospital. In the summer of 1967, Geary Community Hospital opened its doors to patients at a new facility, on the corner of Ash Street & St. Mary's Rd.
This is also the present day location of 1102 St. Mary's Rd. This facility was originally built with the assistance of $2 million in Hill-Burton federal grants. In return for the aid, the hospital promised to provide charity care to the indigent for the next 20 years. Although the debt has been retired, the hospital continues its commitment to those patients with little or no ability to pay.
The current facility has undergone several major renovation projects. The Medical Arts Building, home to many of the physicians' offices, was constructed in two phases, floor by floor, beginning in 1974 and ending in 1983. Next, a major operating room expansion was completed in 1987. In 1994, a $4.5 million expansion of the emergency room and outpatient services was completed.
Also in 1994, the Geary Community Hospital was approved as the first University of Kansas Family Practice Residency program with a longitudinal, rural, emphasis. Ronald D. Mace, M.D., serves as the program's assistant director. The program houses residents who complete a year of residency at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, and then they move to Junction City to complete their last two years at the hospital.
In September 1997, the hospital opened the $2.5 million Martha K. Hoover Women's Health Center. The center includes six LDRP's (Labor-Delivery-Recovery-Post Partum Rooms) and educational facilities. When the previous obstetrics unit was vacated on the hospital's second floor, Fred C. Bramlage Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit was constructed in its place. This unit allows recovering patients that require rehabilitation to continue to make progress toward independent living while remaining in the hospital under less acute conditions. Also in 1997, the hospital opened the Senior Health Center. This unit is a geriatric psychiatric unit that treats seniors who suffer from mental disorders, and is located adjacent to the Fred C. Bramlage Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit on the second floor of the hospital. The Senior Health Center is the only geriatric psych unit in the 10-county area served by Pawnee Mental Health.
In 2002, the Geary Community Hospital purchased the building across the street at 1310 W. Ash St and relocated the Home Health and Home Medical Equipment departments. The Home Health department provides home care services that range from simple assistance in the activities of daily living to high-tech medical procedures. And the Home Medical Equipment is a store that features medical equipment and supplies for the community and staff. The departments opened their door July 1, 2002. Also in July 2002, the hospital opened a family practice clinic in the nearby town of Chapman. The Chapman Clinic is a way to better serve Geary Community Hospital's rural patients. The clinic is managed by Mary Austin, Director of Geary Community Hospital's Practice Management, and care is provided by Todd Frieze, MD and T. Scott Webb, DO. Clinic hours are available on Tuesday and Friday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
In 2004, the Medical Arts II building was completed. This building houses the Geary Community Hospital's Administration, Patient Accounting, General Accounting, Public Relations, Health Information Management, Flint Hills Surgical Clinic, Innovative Weight Loss Solutions, and Flint Hills Ob/Gyn. It is located adjacent to the Medical Arts I.
In September 2006 Geary County voters approved a $34 million expansion and remodeling project that more than doubled the size of the hospital. The expansion, which opened in January 2009 turned all patient rooms from semi-private to private and houses a new Surgery Center, Medical/Surgical unit and a remodeled Rago Radiology department. It also added a fourth floor to the Medical Arts II building that is now the home for six providers.
The hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO.) It is a member of the American and Kansas Hospital Associations.